- A local, caring family florists
- FREE delivery in Chelmsford area
- Flowers and gifts for all occasions
- Lovingly created at our local flower studio
- Delivered by professional drivers
- Special 5% online discount
Beautiful Flowers for Chelmsford in Essex. providing flowers and gifts for all occasions including Birthdays and Weddings, Funerals and Anniversaries and so much more in Chelmsford. Blossom Florists operate from a flower studio rather than a florists shop in Chelmsford, this means no display flowers being handled by other customers before you buy. Our flowers are delivered fresh everyday and therefore are only handled once by our florists before being included in your flower bouquet or funeral arrangement or wedding flowers. This also means we are able to provide great value for money hence free delivery and 5% online discount Choose to add on gifts such as chocolates or teddy or balloons. Call Chelmsford 01245 708085 or email email@example.com Blossom, your local Essex Florist delivering in Chelmsford
We are a local, family run florist providing free flower delivery throughout Chelmsford, Great Baddow, Galleywood, Great Waltham, Boreham, Great Leighs and other local Chelmsford villages and towns. We deliver direct from our own flower workshop and pride ourselves on the quality of our flowers and strive to deliver the freshest possible blooms! You can receive a special 5% discount when you order online at our florists online shop!!!
You can also choose to send chocolates, balloons, teddies with you order to make yours an even more special gift. Bespoke Weddings- funerals- functions- anniversary- roses- Birthdays- with love- new baby- thanks- get well soon-cheer up-Mother's Day-Valentines-Christmas and all occasions.
Call us on 01245 708085 or order online for a 5% discount!
Chelmsford Flower Delivery
At Blossom Florists we pride ourselves on delivery great value for money, the freshest possible blooms and excellent florist customer service in Chelmsford and other towns and villages in Essex. As a florist we can deliver many gifts in Chelmsford including handtied bouquets, wedding flowers, funeral tributes and gift baskets. We don't charge delivery in Chelmsford in Essex.
Blossom Florists delivers to all of the funeral Directors in and around Chelmsford. A list of the undertakers is below:
M. Lucking & Sons Funeral Home, 195 New London Rd, Chelmsford CM2 0AE, 01245 353733
Adam & Greenwood Funeral Director, 73 Rainsford Ln, Chelmsford CM1 2QS, Phone:01245 496620
Hunnaball of Chelmsford, St John's House, 91 Wood Street, Chelmsford CM2 8BH, Phone:01245 290909
Chelmsford Star Co-operative Funerals, 78 Broomfield Rd, Chelmsford CM1 1SS, Phone:01245 353978
Pennack T & Sons Funeral Director, 3 Maldon Rd, Great Baddow, CM2 7DW, Phone:01245 471157
Chelmsford Star Co-operative Funerals, 348 Baddow Rd, Chelmsford CM2 9RA, Phone:01245 268993 A brief History
The 18-arch Victorian Railway Viaduct that carries the Great Eastern Main Line through Central Park Chelmsford
In 1199, following the commissioning of a bridge over the River Can by Maurice, Bishop of London, William of Sainte-Mère-Eglise was granted a Royal Charter for Chelmsford to hold a market, marking the origin of the modern town. An under-cover market, operating Tuesday to Saturday, is still an important part of the city centre over 800 years later. The city's name is derived from Ceolmaer's ford which was close to the site of the present High Street stone bridge. In the Domesday Book of 1086 the town was called Celmeresfort and by 1189 it had changed to Chelmsford. Its position on the Londinium – Camulodonum Roman road (the modern A12) ensured the early prosperity of Chelmsford; in the first decade of the 12th century its population had grown to several hundred, which was large for its time.
Before 1199, there were settlements nearby from ancient times. A Neolithic and a late Bronze Age settlement have been found in the Springfield suburb, and the town was occupied by the Romans. A Roman fort was built in AD 60, and a civilian town grew up around it. The town was given the name of Caesaromagus' (the market place of Caesar), although the reason for it being given the great honour of bearing the Imperial prefix is now unclear – possibly as a failed 'planned town' provincial capital to replace Londinium or Camulodunum. The remains of a mansio, a combination post office, civic centre and hotel, lie beneath the streets of modern Moulsham, and the ruins of an octagonal temple are located beneath the Odeon roundabout. Great Leighs. The town disappeared for a while after the Romans left Britain.
The town became the seat of the local assize during the early 13th century (though assizes were also held at Brentwood) and by 1218 was recognised as the county town of Essex, a position it has retained to the present day. Chelmsford was significantly involved in the Peasants' Revolt of 1381, and Richard II moved on to the town after quelling the rebellion in London. 'The Sleepers and The Shadows', written by Hilda Grieve in 1988 using original sources, states: "For nearly a week, from Monday 1st July to Saturday 6th July , Chelmsford became the seat of government ... The king probably lodged at his nearby manor house at Writtle. He was attended by his council, headed by the temporary Chancellor ... the new chief justice ... the royal chancery ... Their formidable task in Chelmsford was to draft, engross, date, seal and despatch by messengers riding to the farthest corners of the realm, the daily batches of commissions, mandates, letters, orders and proclamations issued by the government not only to speed the process of pacification of the kingdom, but to conduct much ordinary day to day business of the Crown and Government." Richard II famously revoked the charters which he had made in concession to the peasants on 2 July 1381, while in Chelmsford. It could be said that given this movement of government power, Chelmsford for a few days at least became the capital of England. Many of the ringleaders of the revolt were executed on the gallows at what is now Primrose Hill.
An important Anglo-Saxon burial was discovered at Broomfield to the north of Chelmsford in the late 19th century and the finds are now in the British Museum. The road 'Saxon Way' now marks the site. In the 17th century many of the victims of Matthew Hopkins (the self-styled "Witchfinder General") spent their last days imprisoned in Chelmsford, before being tried at the Assizes and hanged for witchcraft.
Henry VIII purchased the Boleyn estate in 1516, and built Beaulieu Palace on the current site of New Hall School. This later became the residence of his then mistress, and later wife Ann. Soon after it became the residence of Henry's daughter, by his first marriage, Mary I.
King Robert I of Scotland, better known as Robert the Bruce, had close ties with the nearby village of Writtle and there is some evidence to suggest he was born at Montpeliers Farm in the village, but the story is disputed and possibly conflated with his father, Robert de Brus, 6th Lord of Annandale.
World War II
During World War II Chelmsford, an important centre of light engineering war production, was attacked from the air on several occasions, both by aircraft of the Luftwaffe and by missile. The worst single loss of life took place on Tuesday 19 December 1944, when the 367th Vergeltungswaffe 2 or V2 rocket to hit England fell on a residential street (Henry Road) near the Hoffmans ball bearing factory and not far from the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company factory in New Street which may also have been the target. (Hoffmans ball bearing factory was key to the war effort, supplying bearings for countless applications. This obviously made it a key target) Thirty-nine people were killed and 138 injured, 47 seriously. Several dwellings in Henry Road were completely destroyed, and many in nearby streets were badly damaged. A recently restored monument to the dead is in the city cemetery in Writtle Road.
On 13 May 1943 Luftwaffe bombing raids hit Chelmsford leaving more than 50 people dead and making nearly 1,000 residents homeless. The bombs on this night were dropped mainly in the town centre, Springfield and Moulsham.
The GHQ Line part of the British hardened field defences of World War II runs directly through Chelmsford with many pillboxes still in existence to the north and south of the city.
Hylands Park, the site of the annual V festival, then hosted a Prisoner of war camp, and from 1944 was the headquarters of the Special Air Service (SAS).
Since the 1980s Chelmsford has suffered from a decline in its defence-related industries, most notably The Marconi Company with all of its factories either being closed or sold. The site on West Hanningfield Road was sold to BAE; the Waterhouse Lane site sold to E2V and the New Street site remains empty.
However, the city's location close to London and at the centre of Essex has helped it grow in importance as an administrative and distribution centre. The one-time largest employer in Chelmsford, RHP, the former Hoffman ball bearing manufacturing company, closed its New Street/Rectory Lane site in 1989. Some of the factory remains and have been converted into luxury apartments and a health club although most of the site was demolished to make way for the Rivermead Campus of the Anglia Ruskin University.
Beaulieu Park, The Village and Chancellor Park are some of the most recent large-scale housing developments built in the city to complement earlier developments such as Chelmer Village which was built throughout the 1980s.
In 2007, the Channel 4 programme "Location, Location, Location" voted Chelmsford as the 8th best place to live in the UK